Thursday 26 April 2012

Simply Stylish

Now that the cooler weather has finally arrived, I've been feeling much more inspired to work on my winter wardrobe. First up, a 1950s skirt...

Butterick 6188
"Sleek-as-a-pin tailored skirt with side button-closing and an interesting side-pleated detail. You'll find this the perfect foil for your smartest tailored and soft blouses. The back hangs smoothly without pleats."

I had some beautiful wine coloured crepe in my stash which had been ear-marked for a skirt of some sort; it would be perfect for this project.

What do you think?





This skirt was fairly simple to put together - all straight lines! - but it took me a bit to work up to the pleats and buttons. The previous owner of the pattern had used a tracing wheel to transfer the markings and had pretty much shredded the entire left front pattern piece. It was in a bad way and I was concerned about making it worse. Fortunately, once I worked up the courage to use the pattern - yes, I use my actual vintage patterns, I'm too lazy to make a copy - it was smooth sailing.

I did consider using some flashy buttons for the hip closure but the covered buttons will give me more freedom to pair it with different coloured tops. Plus, I prefer that the side-pleat detail have all the glory. It's so simple, but so very stylish!


On another note, you may not have noticed but I've gone a different hair colour. I've been varying shades of red for at least 15 years and I had gotten tired of the latest one fading. It was time for a change, so I found a brown which I liked - golden mahogany brown - and went for it.

I had a quiet heart attack when I took off the towel, it looked drastically different and really dark, but I'm really pleased with how it's washing in. It's actually quite close to my natural colour, just a little warmer. I think I might keep it for a while.




- Tamara

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous skirt!!! And your hair looks fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent outfit! That beautiful skirt (adore the colour) and your wonderful hair just sing with vintage elegance and style.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...