Monday 15 April 2013

Bye, Bye Belle

I know I said I'd be posting my news at the end of February, but life sometimes gets in the way and I've not had much spare time of the last couple of months. I've also had some frustrating issues with my computer (time for an upgrade), but that's another story.

Here's what I've been up to...


Photo: Terry Hartin.
I'm a Mrs.!
 
Mdblm & I met online (dating) and things were easy from the start. Our first date, we spent six hours together and we were never once lost for conversation. I also remember we laughed a whole lot too. He ticked all my wish-list items, bar one - he's not much of a dancer but we've been working on that - and he's the most awesomely supportive guy I've ever met!
 
That said, this being a sewing blog an' all, let's get on to the dress.
 
 
Simplicity Retro - Costume Collection 4566


I'd always thought is weird this pattern was filed under the 'Costume' section of the Simplicity pattern book; it's so beautiful and not at all costume-y. As soon as I saw it, I knew (someday) this would be my wedding dress. That was nearly six years ago now and although my sewing skills have vastly improved, I'd never undertaken such a large project. It was intimidating to say the least.
 
Thankfully, once the skirt part of the dress is sewn - it has French seams - it's two-thirds done. I did have some fitting issues with the bodice, there's no allowance to adjust the length, but I persisted, documenting every change as I went. It may have taken me three months, and several muslins to get it right, but it was well worth the effort.
 
 
Photo: Terry Hartin.
 
So there you have it! I think it's a pretty reasonable excuse for being a bit of an absent blogger these last few months. Although my life has become a lot busier of late, I hope to be back in the next day or two with more divine dress details.
 
- Tamara


3 comments:

  1. AH-MAZE-ING!!
    Wow that is a stunning dress! I couldn't imagine you not making your own.
    The photos are just gorgeous too.
    CONGRATULATIONS :-)
    I met my man online too and we also spent 6 hours together on meeting, never once stopping the conversation. I had to keep reminding myself that I'd only just met this guy and it shouldn't be this easy to talk to him. Even let him drive me home (number 1 no-no of online dating apparently ;-P)
    Will you post up more of your progress shots of the dress? I'd love to see them if you have them.

    Also - who did your hair? My friend Kirsty is getting married in August and is looking for all wedding-y recommendations. Unfortunately Candice is out of budget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heartiest congratulations to you both! I think that is a great reason for the radio silence. You're a gorgeous bride. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...