Thursday 8 December 2011

Going Once... Going Twice...

Being confined to the house has made me a little stir crazy and although I'm still not feeling 100%, today was the day I had to get out.

A friend had alerted me to an auction which is being held tomorrow and suggested it might be something I'd be interested in. Turns out it's an auction of vintage clothing and accessories, of course I'm interested! The viewing was held today at Leonard Joel, an auction house in South Yarra and a drive to the city in the sunshine would be just the thing to blow the cobwebs away.

This being my first visit to a formal auction house I really wasn't sure what to expect. To begin with I wandered through a few of the downstairs rooms to get a feel for the place - it was far from welcoming and the staff pretty much ignored me. But, things improved when I ventured upstairs and I found what I had been looking for - the clothes! The staff upstairs were genuinely helpful and they were more than happy for me to take photos.

Here are few of the pretty things up for auction tomorrow...

Vintage Beaded Handbags, to be sold as a pair, estimate $40 - $60

1970s Maxi dresses by Lanvin, estimate $80 - $120 each
Embroidery detail on navy maxi dress

Edwardian French Jet Caplet, estimate $160 - $200
Vintage hats, estimate $40 - $60 each
Japanese silk Obi, kimono length, estimate $60 - $100

Bodice detail of 1960s shantung & velvet 3 piece ensemble,
estimate $140 - $160
  
I must admit one or two pieces did manage to catch my eye so I'm planning on going back tomorrow. While they offer absentee & telephone bidding, I figure where's the fun in that?! I'd rather be there for the auction action. Here's hoping I don't get carried away...


-Tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...