You may have noticed I've been working on sewing my winter wardrobe of late and now the cold weather has finally arrived, I'm glad I got started early.
This 1940s day/afternoon dress isn't on my winter wishlist, but I'd found the perfect fabric and it just couldn't wait.
Several weeks ago, while on my quest to find the my ideal winter green, I came across some winter-weight ponti de roma in a lovely shade of emerald green and quickly snapped up a couple of metres for a dress. The fabric is mostly synthetic and has a bit of a plastic-y / chemical smell about it before washing, but it was really nice to sew and falls beautifully.
Once again, there was a whole lot of pin gathering goin' on in order to get the sleeves lovely and flat, but overall Butterick 4379-S lived up to its promise of being 'quick & easy'. It's about time too!!
Ordinarily, I'm not a fan of wearing long sleeves - I find I'm constantly pushing them up so I tend to stick with the short version - but I actually really liked how they looked on this dress. Plus, longer sleeves are generally warmer. So. in order to avoid the 'pushing up', I took roughly 1.5 inches off so the sleeve now finishes just below my elbow. Still warm, but out of the way. Problem solved!
I also really like how the simple, gathered loop detail livens up the front of the dress. At the moment, I've used a piece of velvet ribbon I had in my stash, but am thinking I might change it for a regular ribbon instead. The pile of the velvet has caused the ribbon to fold over, making the gathering appear bulky, and it also stops the ribbon from moving smoothly inside the casing. The velvet does look classy though...
This dress is so comfy and warm; I think it's safe to say I've another sucessful addition to my winter wardrobe. Yay!!