Wednesday 15 June 2011

Tam Vs The Nemesis – Round 2

Ordinarily the mismatching of the plaid on the skirt would be enough to make me abandon a project altogether but this was The Nemesis and I refused to be beaten so easily. That said, it was with great trepidation I embarked on the bodice front. The external darts at the waist were a snap, nothing I haven’t done before; the exposed zipper was hand-picked to ensure (near) perfect plaid matching, then machine sewn. I chose a slightly chunkier zip than suggested because I wanted it to have a bit more impact and not get lost in the pattern of the fabric.
Bodice front showing waist darts & bust pocket markings.
So far, so good... Now for the welted pockets over the bust.  There’s no getting out of it, the rest of the bodice can’t progress until the pockets are sewn in.

The welted pockets are the sole reason I’ve been afraid of this pattern, I mean you have to cut into a major piece of the fabric! Talk about frightening!! So, for the first time in my sewing life I decided to make a practice pocket first. Smart. I’m not going to go into detail, but let’s just say that although it took me nearly an hour, I conquered that sucker!! The welts sat perfectly flat to hide the slash and the pocket piece slid right on though, you would even know they’re inside! Time for a victory dance! 

Inside pocket

Outside pocket welt

Pocket with scarf!
With my confidence on a high I quickly moved on to the real ones so as not to lose my momentum. One great thing about the bodice matching, I was able to get the pockets in exactly the same position on both sides. Sadly the real pockets aren’t as perfect as the practice one, probably because I wasn’t as meticulous, but I’m fairly happy with the result.



The score: Tam - 1, The Nemesis - 1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...